Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP backup fails after one drive is removed from jukebox

2004-09-21 09:03:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP backup fails after one drive is removed from jukebox
From: Joel Krajden <joelk AT CS.CONCORDIA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:04:46 -0400
Kuin, CNM wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Krajden [mailto:joelk AT CS.CONCORDIA DOT CA]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 19:33
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Subject: [Networker] NDMP backup fails after one drive is removed from
jukebox

I decided to delete the device entry in Networker for the
remote drive that
was removed. This stopped the signal 11 errors. Had to do
this with jbedit
because the GUI gave me endless complaints.

Complaints about... what. Aren't these relevant?

Yes and no. Before you can delete the device you need to delete it from the
pools. No problem I had done that. Next you need to delete the devices from
the jukebox resource. When you try that networker complains that the number of
devices does not match not match the number of drives. So I reduced the number
of drives and devices from 4 to 3. Try again to delete and networker complains
about the number of loaded slots. Which slots are they talking about? Tapes in
drive slots? All 4 tape drives are empty. What does this have to do with the
attempt at device deletion and just what am I supposed to do. Searched the
manuals and man pages and still could not figure out what was required.
Defeated by bad software/documentation I gave up.

I guess I'd do the same as you did. Remove the drive in the GUI,
after removing it from any pool that used it.

Decided to remove the jukebox resource and reinstall using jbconfig.
After discovering the the auto-detected SCSI library and two local

drives...
Two local drives? One was removed wasn't it?
Inquire sees only one drive?

I have 4 drives in the jukebox. Two directly attached to the networker server
and two attached to the filer.

Inquire sees the MC and the two local drives.

Inquire -N prompts for the NDMP tape server and password but returns nothing
except the string "this may take some time".

Seems to be some sort of SCSI-problem if it sees ghost drives.

Cor Kuin.

| Joel Krajden              | Rm: LB-915,  Tel: 514 848-2424 3052         |
|                           | Fax: 514 848-2830                           |
| Senior Systems Analyst    | Email: joelk AT cs.concordia DOT ca

| Dept. of Computer Science | http://www.cs.concordia.ca/~staffcs/joelk   |
| Concordia University      |   Remember it's a circus and the clowns     |
| Montreal, Canada          |   are supposed to make you laugh, not cry.  |