ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM being abandoned?

2008-04-17 12:18:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM being abandoned?
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:13:08 -0400
Just to set realistic expectations... To date, no backup software vendor
has offered dedupe that has anywhere near the speed that is offered by
the VTL/IDT (intelligent disk target) market.  The backup software
dedupe products run at 10s of MB/s, MAYBE 100 MB/s, but that's it.  The
VTL/IDTs START at 300 MB/s and go up to 1000s MB/s.  I wish the best for
IBM in this regard, as I am a big fan of dedupe, but history is not in
their favor.  In addition, the other software companies that did this
did so by acquisition.  It appears that IBM is going to do it
themselves.  That's much harder.

That is, unless, the rumored acquisition of Diligent ever happens...

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies

Of