ADSM-L

Re: tape encryption and TSM

2006-01-13 11:24:57
Subject: Re: tape encryption and TSM
From: John Schneider <Schneider_JohnD AT EMC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:24:18 -0500
Greetings,
        In any encryption solution you pick, key management is crucial.  Who
is responsible to generate the keys?  How often are they changed?  Who
maintains a long-term archive of the keys so you can unencrypt data that was
encrypted years ago, if necessary?  How are multiple, concurrent copies of
the key database maintained, so that in a DR situation you don't loose all
your keys.
        Some products consider all these questions.  Decru and Neoscale make
FC based encryption appliances that allows you to encrypt your data onto
tape.  Decru's has comprehensive key-management, with all the automated
redundancy for DR purposes you might need.  Neoscale might have this as
well, but I have not read up on that one as much.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Technology Consultant - Backup, Recovery, and Archive Practice
EMC² Corporation, 600 Emerson Road, Suite 400, St. Louis, MO 63141
Phone: 314-989-3839 Cell: 314-225-9997 Email: Schneider_JohnD AT emc DOT com