ADSM-L

Re: tape encryption and TSM

2006-01-12 20:05:03
Subject: Re: tape encryption and TSM
From: Aaron Becar <ab032 AT BYUH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:00:14 -1000
Unless you are willing to spen $500 an hour and send your tapes to
Dallas, at a rate of I believe it was 8MB an hour they can rebuild your
database.  Then you can get data off your tape.  So, yea it is pretty
difficult.  Just don't loose your encryption keys!  Then you should be
okay!  Wish I had a better answer!

>>> GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM 1/12/2006 2:24:58 PM >>>
I know the topic of reading tapes written by TSM without having the DB
has
come up before, but I'm wondering if anything has changed from a couple
of
years ago with the implementation of 5.3 so here are a few questions.

How hard is it to read tapes without the TSM database tape?

Is there any tape encryption with TSM 5.3?

Besides encrypting data from the client to the server is there anything
else
that can be done?

What type of hit does encryption take on the client/server when in
use?

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email:  <mailto:geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com> geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com