ADSM-L

Re: tape encryption and TSM

2006-01-13 11:18:14
Subject: Re: tape encryption and TSM
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:20:14 -0700
Geoff,

It is one thing to say that you need the TSM database in order to
reconstruct a file (in its correct format) on the client system. It's
another to say that the data can't be read at all. So yes, you could
possibly read the tape outside of TSM and obtain readable bits of
information, depending on the data. For example, a plain text file that is
not compressed or encrypted couldn't be reconstructed in its original
state by TSM (without an intact database), but a human reading the tape
could make out the content of the file. So default TSM settings alone will
not yield encrypted data on your storage volumes.

Besides the other things mentioned on this thread, Windows NTFS-encrypted
files are stored in their encrypted state in TSM storage (note that there
are restrictions, though, with restoring such files to a different machine
with regard to accounts that can decrypt the file -- this is more of a
Windows issue than TSM).

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/12/2006
05:24:58 PM: