ADSM-L

Re: Running tapes off-site multiple times in a day?

2006-01-06 16:10:25
Subject: Re: Running tapes off-site multiple times in a day?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:10:19 -0500
>> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 23:13:21 -0500, "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT
>> COM> said:

> There's "cheap" and then there's "cost-effective". For what the telco
> wanted for a T3 to our hangar (our off-site storage facility) we could
> pay wages and full benefits to TWO clerical types to do nothing but snag
> and shuttle tapes. I don't remember the exact number, but I seem to
> recall that the monthly fee ran to around $90,000 per year. It would be
> cheaper if we crossed a state line, so that federal tariffs applied.

Hmm.  business-class cable modems in both places? :)

Seriously: My moonlight consulting server is at the end of a
business-class (i.e. SLA-enabled) connection for which I could get 4.5
Mb symmetric for ~300/month, I think?  That's 3x T1...

Maybe the mexico and poland idea isn't that bad after all.

- Allen S. Rout