ADSM-L

Re: Running tapes off-site multiple times in a day?

2006-01-06 16:22:54
Subject: Re: Running tapes off-site multiple times in a day?
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:22:50 -0500
Alan -- thanks for the feedback.

Courier issues aren't really a problem for us -- they're all employees
of the department, most in the support group. And, in all honesty, tape
utilization isn't that much of an issue. We're a firm believer in "Tape
is cheap".

Our off-site is the company hangar, about 13 miles away to the
Northwest. It is nearly impossible to have the same event take out both
facilities -- we're in Northern Indiana, so the big environmental threat
is tornado, and they tend to follow a 'north to east' track.

And we've been doing two D/R tests at a hotsite every year for the last
8 years. Most of them quite successful. It's just that we're at an
awkward size; most manufacturing outfits don't do D/R. The ones that do,
tend to be significantly larger and run to multiple data centers. Me,
I've got one data center and 15 remote manufacturing or distribution
centers linked to it -- all by frame relay or sub-rate T1.

(If you don't recognize the company name -- we do the copper elbows and
tees you find in the plumbing section of the hardware store. Also in
plastic; in sizes to 5 inches for copper, 8 inches (or larger) for
plastic. And valves, from 1/8 inch up to 28 inches, in brass, bronze,
plastic, and iron.)

Tom