ADSM-L

Re: Running tapes off-site multiple times in a day?

2006-01-05 23:06:00
Subject: Re: Running tapes off-site multiple times in a day?
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 23:05:55 -0500
The problem is not the redo log data. All I need to do is "ba stg
prdlog1-lt prdlog1-lt-copy" "ba stg prdlog2-lt arch-lt-copy", and "ba db
devc=lto t=f" and check out the tapes.

My problem is that I will have run reclaims on NT-Exchange tapes
off-site, and this database knows the current off-site tapes are
'pending' with no data on them. So the Exchange tapes need to come out.
No problem. But I've also probably got a reclaim running on Windows
backups (usually trigger at 35%) -- and these take forever to run. 30%
of 492  GB is still a respectable number. It's also about the point the
tapes go 'stagnant', which is to say the rest of the data on the bloody
tape will never expire, so I've got to do the reclaim. And this process
needs to be nuked, and the partial tape(s) shipped off as well.

My checkout is automated -- "q vol stg=*copy acce=readw,reado
st=fil,ful", shove the result into a perl script which does the checkout
to the I/O port and updates the status to offsite as well as finding the
most recent database backup in the volume history and checks it out as
well.

Maybe if I only run the reclaims for the INCR-LT-COPY between midnight
and 7 AM (my copy pool for all backups, Windows, linux, and AIX).

My head hurts.

Tom