ADSM-L

Re: D2D backup with TSM

2004-06-02 13:20:42
Subject: Re: D2D backup with TSM
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:19:58 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Richard Rhodes
>Since I have experienced disk subsystem crashes with loss data, I
couldn't
>ever use just
>one disk system.  I think I'd have to have separate disk systems for
the
>primary pools and
>copy pools (or tape), and maybe even a third subsystem for the db and
>staging pools.

You want to avoid all single points of failure when possible.

However, I'd be inclined to keep the db and log volumes on local disk
(controller-mirrored, of course. It's hard to beat disk access speeds
from the local bus if you buy the right controller and disk.) A couple
of 72GB local disks (mirrored) gives plenty of room for the OS and the
TSM db volumes and TSM log volume copies, and a third 72GB local disk
for the OS's swap/paging space, the TSM log volumes, and TSM db volume
copies.

>I've been called paranoid . . . but it comes from experience.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

--
Mark Stapleton