ADSM-L

Re: D2D backup with TSM

2004-06-02 07:55:30
Subject: Re: D2D backup with TSM
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 07:54:34 -0400
Yes . . . exactly.

>From reading about the EMC DL700, it truly emuilates tape libraries, tape
drives and tape cartridges.  Actually, it can concurrently emulate multiple
libraries (of the same kind of different kinds), different kinds of tape
drives (lto, dlt, etc), with emulated tape cartridges.  You would have to
run reclamation on the emulated tape cartridges just like a real tape
system.

You could set it up and one big library and use tsm tape drive sharing to
share the virtual library/drives between several tsm instances, or, give
each tsm instance their own virtual library.

Rick

                      "Hart, Charles"
                      <charles.hart@MED        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      TRONIC.COM>              cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: D2D backup with TSM
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      06/01/2004 05:06
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

May be a dumb question but here it goes.... Using a D2D backup to a Virtual
Tape System does the backup application (TSM or Netbackup - We have
both...) create a Volume Name for each Virtual tape? (IE TSM Server to
server virtual volumes are assigned a volume name)  If so could you end up
partially filled VT Volumes and hopefully you can run a reclaim if using
TSM, if not TSM you just have wasted Disk?

Hope that all made sense....