ADSM-L

Re: D2D backup with TSM

2004-06-04 10:37:08
Subject: Re: D2D backup with TSM
From: Jim Sporer <james.sporer AT DOIT.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:38:00 -0500
Eric,
The fragmentation occurs because of aggregates.  The files within the
aggregates expire but the space isn't freed up until all the files in an
aggregate expire.
Jim Sporer

  At 11:14 AM 6/2/2004 +0200, you wrote:
Hi Jim!
> I know that this will involve running reclamation on the ATA storage pool
but we felt using a DISK device class would waste to much storage because of
fragmentation.

Why did you think fragmentation was a waste of space? If a file expires, the
space it allocated on a diskpool becomes free space, so it shouldn't be
considered wasted.
I can imagine that when a lot of little files expire, one gets a lot of
fragmented free space, which could have impact on the specific disks
performance in the long run.
Funny to see that a lot of people (including us) are thinking about SATA
storage for their backups. There doesn't seem to be anybody with real
hands-on experience however...
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines