ADSM-L

Re: Restore MS Exchange data to a different machine

2001-08-30 10:03:02
Subject: Re: Restore MS Exchange data to a different machine
From: Joe Cascanette <Joe.Cascanette AT CUMIS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:05:18 -0400
Sure it can be done. It took me over 3 weeks to get it to work..

Of course you need to be running all the same versions and service packs for
both TSM TP for Exchange (2.2 for me) and Exchange 5.5 (sp4) or 2000 on both
machines.

Do a full backup of your email server.

Go to the restore server and do a restore of the mail (make sure erase
existing logs is CHECKED!), but DO NOT restore the DIRECTORY, only the
information store, private and public.

Then after the restore restart the services for exchange and go into the
Administrator program (see tech net article ID Q146920 for full details)

Go into Server Objects, and then select Consistency Adjuster

Under the Private Information Store section make sure Synchronize with the
directory is checked, click All Inconsistencies and away you go. This will
rebuild the user directory whole list and all the mail.

My config is Windows 2000 adv server Cluster using exchange 5.5 (sp4) and
TSM v2.2 (Data Protection) - for the main exchange box tsm v4.1.3 server

Restore box is windows 2000 adv server no cluster with exchange 5.5 (sp4)

Joe Cascanette