ADSM-L

Re: Collocation

2000-02-18 09:24:37
Subject: Re: Collocation
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:24:37 -0500
At 08:00 PM 2/17/2000 -0800, Joe Faracchio wrote:
>About the situation of only reclamating one tape at a time.
>You could setup disk space for FILE sets and reclaimate from tape to disk.
>(I.E. the one tapedrive reclamation recommendations but using 2 or more
> tape drives and disk spaces.)  Maybe?  I have not tried this to see
>if ADSM with 'cooperate'  ... :-)   But I am doing 1 drive reclamation.
>
>                          joe.f.

Thanks for the idea, Joe.  I'll try it, but I don't think there is any way
to tell ADSM to attempt more than 1 reclamation at a time (per storage pool).

I am curious about the reclaim performance using FILE sets to reclaim
tapes.  I am actually wondering if it is faster than tape-to-tape
reclamation, especially with collocation enabled.  I have found that
running MOVE DATAs from tape to disk, and then letting migration move the
data back to tape performs fairly well, but this has to be run manually.
You cannot set the reclaim stgpool to a random access pool.  The reason I
do this, is to try to avoid all of the tape-skipping involved in moving
data off of tape in collocation clusters.  I haven't done any rigorous
performance testing to see if it really does perform any better.    ..Paul