ADSM-L

Re: Storage Tek 9840 transfer rates.

1999-12-02 18:33:39
Subject: Re: Storage Tek 9840 transfer rates.
From: Kyle Payne <payne AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:33:39 -0600
ADSMer's
        I see in this e-mail that you are using the information in the act log
give you data transfer time.  Remember this is not the real transfer time.
In order to get that you must run a trace (instr_client_detail).  Then you
add the time from sections titled "Data Verb" and "Confirm Verb" together to
get network transfer time.

        The numbers in the act log can be way, way ,way off.  First, they use
the
time it takes to mount tapes, also if you are talking about a server with
100s of thousands of files then the time it takes to process the directories
is also in this.  In reality this will show a transfer rate much slower than
what you are actually getting.  Also I have seen when you backup one large
file you get a time that isn't possible.  Ultimately the trace, in my
experience, has been accurate.  If you choose to use this trace just let me
know and I would be happy to send you an excel spread sheet I use to make
sense of the numbers.

Kyle
payne AT berbee DOT com