ADSM-L

Re: Recovery Log problems

1999-09-03 10:31:48
Subject: Re: Recovery Log problems
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:31:48 -0400
This thread has gone around a lot and evolved, so here's my 2 cents on it.

It's sad to be thinking that 44G is too big for a database.  I subscribe to
the db2 list and tables that are 100's of Gigs are discussed regularly,
never mind whole databases.  I urge the people who attend the
upcoming synposium in the U.K. to really jump on IBM about this!
All sequential DB operations must be multi-threaded, for instance
a full db backup should be able to write to 5 tapes at once.
You will have the right person there, Mike Kaczmarski, to make this
case to.

Richard Simms replied that people should call any & all problems
into IBM support.  I can attest that it works.  the original
post noted that message number ANR4556W was issued.  Why did this
message come out?  Because the first time this problem happend to me
I called IBM support.  There were 2 issues for me form the start; first that
it happened at all and 2nd that there wa no message to say that the
incremental db backup didn't produce the expected results, that is, 0% log
usage.  I eventaully understood that the problem can happen because of
long running transactions, and that it can't easily be completely eliminated,
but I insisted that it was a bug that there was no message.

Now I use the message to respond to the situation.  I run the trigger at 25%.
If the message comes out, it is trapped and the trigger is raised to 75% to
stop the loop of incrementals.  A page is also sent to my beeper so I can
find and fix the root cause of the problem.

(The server is on os/390, level 3.1.2.40.
I use OPS/MVS to trap the message.  The used db pages
is 9,428,172 and growing.  The log has 599,552 pages total.
I have 1 server and no plans to split it or start a
2nd server).

--