ADSM-L

Re: Recovery Log problems

1999-09-02 10:13:42
Subject: Re: Recovery Log problems
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:13:42 -0400
> I also had to restore my DB twice.  Both times I was not able to roll
> forward.
> I am also wondering why I bother to set it since it has not helped me in
> the past.

I run in normal mode after trying rollforward for a while, and having it
cause me more problems than it was worth.  I had a 5GB recovery log, and
DBbackup's triggered in the middle of the night did not complete prior to
the log filling, since client backups were running, and ADSM did not pay
enough attention to the more critical DBbackup.  When it crashes, one must
extend the log in standalone mode, and my server would then take over 4
hours to come up.

With mirrored logs, I dunno why one would bother with the problems
associated with rollforward mode.  In the case were both logs go bad,
rollforward recovery will not work anyway.

We live with the fact that if we have to do a restoredb, we will have to
re-backup all of the work since the last dbbackup.

...just my humble opinions...

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,