ADSM-L

Re: Backing up Oracle with ADSM

1999-07-30 14:06:15
Subject: Re: Backing up Oracle with ADSM
From: Vanderlei Pelizer <delei AT EMAIL.MARTINS.COM DOT BR>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:06:15 -0300
From: Vanderlei Pelizer Pereira on 07/30/99 03:06 PM

Danilo, abaixo um usuário do Sw SQL-BackTrack descreve as opções fornecidas
por este SW para Back-Up do Oracle.

No próximo dia 5 do mês de agosto o pessoal da BMC estará nos visitando e
apresentando soluções para IT.

Sds.: Vanderlei

From: Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU on 30/07/99 09:53 AST

To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:    (bcc: Vanderlei Pelizer Pereira/Martins/BR)
Subject:  Backing up Oracle with ADSM

> I am looking for some suggestions on backing up Oracle databases using
ADSM.
> The way we do it now, is to shutdown the database nightly and do a cold
> backup. Works good but causes about 3hrs of downtime. What I would like
to > do is shut the database down for a cold backkup weekly and then backup
the > archive logs periodically throughout the week.

> Has anyone had experience doing this? More importantly has anyone had
> success recovering from this type of backup. I have seen how fussy Oracle
> can be after a restore and I need to have my bases covered.

We are currently shutting down databases and running incremental backups,
but we are evaluating a product from BMC called SQL-BackTrack. This offers
a number of other options. It can back up Oracle databases while they are
up. It can backup archive logs and subsequently use them to update a
backup. It can also do record level incremental backups, in which it finds
and backs up records that have changed since a previous backup. During
restore operations it can restore from a full backup and then merge in
records from later incremental backups. This record merge is usually
considerably faster than using archive logs to re-enact transactions done
since the last full backup.