ADSM-L

Re: Backing up Oracle with ADSM

1999-07-30 09:30:54
Subject: Re: Backing up Oracle with ADSM
From: "Bronson, David" <David.Bronson AT EXCH.COMPASS-USA DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:30:54 -0400
Backint. ConnectAgent for Oracle.
Dave Bronson
Unix Admin.
Compass Group, USA
704-329-7944

                -----Original Message-----
                From:   Kelly, Patrick C. [mailto:PKELLY AT WCB.STATE.ND DOT US]
                Sent:   Friday, July 30, 1999 8:49 AM
                To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                Subject:        Backing up Oracle with ADSM

                Hi everybody,

                I am looking for some suggestions on backing up Oracle
databases using ADSM.
                The way we do it now, is to shutdown the database nightly
and do a cold
                backup. Works good but causes about 3hrs of downtime. What I
would like to
                do is shut the database down for a cold backkup weekly and
then backup the
                archive logs periodically throughout the week.

                Has anyone had experience doing this? More importantly has
anyone had
                success recovering from this type of backup. I have seen how
fussy Oracle
                can be after a restore and I need to have my bases covered.

                Thanks in advance
                Pat Kelly
                pkelly AT wcb.state.nd DOT us