ADSM-L

Re: restoring deleted file

1999-06-08 12:37:42
Subject: Re: restoring deleted file
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:37:42 -0400
The only way to do that, is to restore your ADSM data base from a data base
backup, back to a time when the file still existed.

Even this won't work unless you have insured that the tape containing the
file has NOT been written over (this is done by specifying a REUSEDELAY on
the storage pool containing the tape.)

It's a lot of work, but it's been done...(yep, I've done it...)

To restore the data base, make sure you have the appropriate old  DB backup
tape on site.

First enter the command DISABLE, and cancel all active user sessions and all
processes to prevent clients from doing anything that would alter the data
base.
Then make a new DB backup, type=FULL, to clear your log and insure you have
all current information on a new DB BACKUP tape.

Shut down the server, and run the DSMSERV RESTORE DB command, specify TODATE
that matches your old DB backup tape.
See Appendix C in the Admin ref. for explanations of DSMSERV RESTORE DB,
because the exact steps you have to do vary depending on whether or not you
are using incremental as well as full DB backups.

When your data base has been restored, restart the server and again enter
DISABLE to prevent more client data from backing up.
Retrieve the file you want.

NOW, you will need to restore your DB AGAIN from the new DB backup tape, to
get back to current level.  Otherwise you will lose access to all backups
that have happened in between, and your data base will be out of sync with
what is on recently-created tapes.

Plan on this taking several hours.
In my experience it takes about 20% longer to do a restore DB than it did to
do a BACKUP DB, type=FULL.

Again, don't even try this, unless you can be sure the tape containing the
file you want has NOT been written over.

As you can see, this is a lot of work, and will require considerable down
time (and a lot of your time).
Make sure you REALLY want that file before you decide it's worthwhile!

Hope this helps...
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert