ADSM-L

Re: restoring deleted file

1999-06-08 13:35:21
Subject: Re: restoring deleted file
From: Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:35:21 -0700
Nancy Reeves wrote:

> There are lots of IFs here, but consider this: IF you have a complete
> database backup that still has the file in it, and IF you have the volume
> history that matches the database, and IF the file was stored on tape, and
> (the biggie) IF the tape space has not been reclaimed, then you could
> restore the database, and using the "back-level" database perhaps restore
> the file from tape.
>
> Nancy Reeves
> Technical Support, Wichita State University
> Nancy.Reeves AT wichita DOT edu

Even if the tape has been reclaimed, it's still good as long as it
hasn't been written to since the reclaim.

Also, one gotcha -  The first time I tried restoring my database to
a previous point in time, expiration processing ran when the server
was started, expiring the file I was looking for.
I had to reset the date on the server before restoring the database.