ADSM-L

Re: ADSM expectations too high??

1998-09-17 20:28:24
Subject: Re: ADSM expectations too high??
From: "Donald W. Daniels/FFIC" <Donald_W._Daniels/FFIC AT FFIC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:28:24 -0400
Andy,  actually my question is reality from my learning experiences.  The
client in question has 3 incremental backups of same files at 40GB x 3 =120GB.
The client has no other backups as it has been in test-mode and this was a
situation where we needed to save these files for 7 days  "then we can scratch
them".    So, great, I changed the policy to extend the retention period to 7 .
Well, on day 4 voices are saying loudly. . "we need to keep them 'til  October
31st".   So, I stopped the daily incremental backup as well expiring inventory,
deleting old db backups, etc. I did a point-in-time recovery back to the last
of the 3 days I need to preserve.   Now, I need to deal with the 3 days of
backups and Bill's work-around seems like a perfect fit. I'll rename the
existing client, etc., set policy to expire these files after 10/31. Then I can
define a new node with the original name and continue with normal backups.  So
to the novice ADSM'r (me) Bill's workaround seems like a perfect perfect fit
and will save me a lot of time and work.

Thanks for your interest and help.

  Don Daniels

storman AT us.ibm DOT com (Andrew Raibeck) on 09/17/98 04:52:49 PM