ADSM-L

Re: ADSM expectations too high??

1998-09-17 16:04:07
Subject: Re: ADSM expectations too high??
From: "Donald W. Daniels/FFIC" <Donald_W._Daniels/FFIC AT FFIC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:04:07 -0400
Bill,  Your procedure will address my situation nicely.

 Thanks much,
 Don Daniels

bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM (Bill Colwell) on 09/17/98 12:03:07 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ INTERNET
cc:  (bcc: Donald W. Daniels/FFIC)

There isn't any machanism in the server to turn backup versions into archive
versions.  There is trick you can use.

Rename the node -- "rename node node1 node1_frozen".  This will prevent
backups by the client from changing the set of versions you now have. you
should also create a domain which will not expire any files and update the
node to use that domain -- "update node node1_frozen domain=noexpire".   Set
the parameters in the copygroups of the new domain to "nolimit". Set the
destination to a new storagepool which has no volumes defined to it to
prevent accidental backups to node1_frozen.

Now you need to define a new node for node1 so it can continue to backup.
You will need an additional license.  The first backup will be a full
backup.

Node1 can still restore from node1_frozen.  Make a new shortcut which has
the commandline parameters "dsm -nodename=node1_frozen" and name it
accordingly.

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge, Ma.
bcolwell AT draper DOT com
In <9809171824.AA-162 AT notesgw.compuserve DOT com>, on 09/17/98
In <9809171824.AA-162 AT notesgw.compuserve DOT com>, on 09/17/98
   at 02:28 PM, "Donald W. Daniels/FFIC" <Donald_W._Daniels/FFIC AT FFIC DOT