ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Server Selection

1996-09-05 14:10:09
Subject: Re: ADSM Server Selection
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,Corp,US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 14:10:09 -0400
2) I've had good luck putting the database on a 7137 disk array (RAID-5)
and the recovery log (mirrored) and disk storage pools on SSA disks.
I'd definitely try to keep the database, recovery log, and disk storage
pools on separate physical devices regardless of what kind of disk
drives you use.
3) We did look at DLT but ultimately decided on 3590 drives.
4) I've been very satisfied with our 3494 and 2 3590 tape drives - we
have the 2 tape drives hanging off of 2 separate, dedicated SCSI
controllers.  Performance is excellent for everything except when
migrating a lot of small files from disk storage pools to tape... this
is more a limitation of ADSM than the hardware.  We're able to do a full
database dump (8 GB) to a 3590 cartridge in under 40 minutes.
5) We're running ADSM on an RS/6000 R30 with 2 processors.  We were
running the 2.1.5.x code and the most CPU I saw ADSM using was 75-80% so
it was definitely taking advantage of the multiple processors.  However,
I had to back off the 2.1.5.x code and go with the 2.1.0.x line of code
because of some software problems.  I hope to get back to the 2.1.5.x
code when the next maintenance level becomes available
.
Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com