ADSM-L

Re: dialing into ADSM for a backup

1995-09-01 19:56:47
Subject: Re: dialing into ADSM for a backup
From: David Boyes <dboyes AT WOOD.HELIOS.ND DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 18:56:47 -0500
> Can someone give me a little more detail on how I could set up users to
> DIAL into our network so they could initiate ADSM backups.

1. Start the PPP connection.
2. Start the ADSM client
3. Start the backup/archive/restore.

It's no different than any other IP client.

> code on their workstation, how exactly would they get to ADSM and initiate a
> client session to request a backup ??

Just like they do on a LAN-connected workstation. Same code,
different transport.

> I realize that this will not be a wonderfully performing function, so they
> probably should restrict it to very selective backup requests.

Certainly for the first backup, but incrementals are eminently
doable from dialup. We have about 200 people doing exactly that.