nv-l

RE: [nv-l] trapd tracing - trap fields?

2003-01-28 21:27:10
Subject: RE: [nv-l] trapd tracing - trap fields?
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: <Karl.Prinelle AT elyzium.co DOT uk>, nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:52:36 -0500
Karl -
We seem to be talking about two different things.  You asked how to see
what's sent in a trap in detail.  Perhaps I am thick-headed, but
that's not exactly the same thing as asking how to script something for
the TEC adapter, particularly on NT.  You would not want to start the
trapd.trace for that.  You'd want to change the formatting for trapd
itself.    But then I am puzzled about the rest of what you say.  You
cannot affect the format of the trap unless you know in advance what you
want to format.

It is NetView for Windows/ NT isn't it?  The UNIX version doesn't both
with a cds and all the rest of those adapter files.

Are you hoping to receive a trap on NT and automatically kick off a script
which can access the trap variables?  That's easy enough, but then you
would have to modify the trap settings for every specific trap to call
your script.  If you are asking whether there is a way to make an
unformatted trap kick off a script, the answer is "no".  But  even so, I
think it is big mistake to try to automatically send everything you get to
TEC.  That's an easy way to overload a TEC server.

So I guess I am still confused about what you think you want to do and how
you envision it working.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Karl Prinelle" <karl.prinelle AT elyzium.co DOT uk>
01/28/2003 02:30 PM
Please respond to Karl.Prinelle