nv-l

Re: [nv-l] [NV-L] Best Solution for snmpCollect

2003-01-29 00:35:27
Subject: Re: [nv-l] [NV-L] Best Solution for snmpCollect
From: David.Hustace AT tavve DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:10:23 -0500
Leonard,

I'm not that familiar with SmartSets, but if NetView sets a field in the
object database for "ifType" (SNMP ifType) I'm sure you could use that
field when defining your SmartSet.  You may want to load the latest
IANAifType-MIB to get up to date TEXTUAL-CONVENTIONS (TCs).  IANA has
assigned 46 to HSSI interfaces.  For your other serial interfaces, ifType
is usually set to 26 with the TC of "propPointToPointSerial".

HTH,
David

                      Bocock Leonard

                      <Leonard.Bocock@siem        To:
nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com

                      ens.com.au>                 cc:

                                                  Subject:  [nv-l] [NV-L]
Best Solution for snmpCollect
                      01/23/2003 05:49 PM

Hi List

We've started down the wrong track of collecting too much data from
snmpCollect.  What we need is basically data from Serial and HSSI
interfaces
(ie serial links).  To make this low maintenance etc, I wanted to use
smartsets, but a quick play indicates that the IsSerial attribute picks up
Serial links (including Diallers which I don't want), but doesn't find HSSI
interfaces which I do want.

Is this type of filtering possible with SmartSets, (using regular
expressions?), or am I asking too much from the functionality?  Would I be
better to perhaps use a Subnet based rule, but entering each subnet is
obviously higher maintenance.

Thanks, Leonard

Siemens Business Services
Australia
+61 407 370 854

CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the addressee named above.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use,
distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited.  If you have
received this message in error please notify Siemens Ltd., ABN 98004347880,
or Siemens (NZ) Limited immediately.

*NOTE*
help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)