nv-l

RE: [nv-l] trapd tracing - trap fields?

2003-01-28 21:17:26
Subject: RE: [nv-l] trapd tracing - trap fields?
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:31:14 -0500
Jason -

Have you tried it?   There's also an eyecatcher to the side which displays
all the ASCII strings.

I realize that you are making a little joke here, but I feel compelled to
explain that trapd.trace was intended as a diagnostic tool for Support,
not a user tool.  Typically, someone like me is the one who ultimately
analyzes the data there in order to fix a customer problem.  So it does
what we find most useful.  If you want something more, then the product
has facilities built-in for that. But it does provide proof that what
trapd displays is what he got off the wire, and what he did with it.

To get something more readable, you can always send your traps to MLM, and
let him log them and then send them on to NetView proper.  MLM writes out
all pieces very nicely.  Or you could use the formatting facilities of
trapd to write out just about everything he knows as well.

 If a vendor trap has no definition at all in trapd.conf, then trapd
automatically displays it by labeling the enterprise id, the generic and
specific id, the number of variables, and the MIB OIDs, data types, and
values of each variable binding.  You can duplicate this kind of thing
yourself by  specifying exactly what you want to see in the log message
using xnmtrap.   The options are explain the man page for trapd.conf. For
example,
"Trap from  $E  ($e) $G  $S  received from host  $A  with  $# args: $-1,
$-2, $-3, "  etc
shows you just about everything you could want to see, doesn't it?   Most
of the time this is too much data, but you could log it that way if you
chose.  The point is that a great deal of readability is available and you
can configure it the way you like.  I don't see anything really
significant that's missing, though there is no denying that the formatting
capabilities could be expanded even further to accommodate more choices.
HP went further down that road than we did.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON AT arinc DOT com>
01/28/2003 08:52 AM