nv-l

Re: [nv-l] 7.1.3 Upgrade problems

2003-01-08 08:55:30
Subject: Re: [nv-l] 7.1.3 Upgrade problems
From: "Christian Frantsen" <cfrantse AT csc DOT com>
To: Gareth Holl <gholl AT us.ibm DOT com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 14:55:30 +0100
Thanks for the info.

The FixPack applied clean but the error in the console was not fixed.

Christian Frantsen
----------------------------
Network Engineering Services
Computer Sciences Corporation
Jonkoping, Sweden

                      Gareth Holl

                      <gholl                   To:      "Christian Frantsen"
<cfrantse AT csc DOT com>
                      @us.ibm.com>             cc:      nv-l AT lists.tivoli
DOT com
                                               Subject: Re: [nv-l] 7.1.3
Upgrade problems
                      2003-01-07 18:08

I can only offer advise regarding the NetView FixPack1 (which may address
your WebConsole problem). I would recommend not using the InstallShield
version of FixPack. Instead, point your browser to:

            ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/nvuxnt/NV_S
            UN_V7

Get the files called "FixPack1.SUN.V713.tar.Z" and the readme called
"FixPack1.SUN.V713.README". This fixpack uses a similar installer to the
efix installers (if you have ever been asked to apply an efix by NetView
Support). The README is a html document but the installation instructions
are for the multi-platform installer, so ignore them and use the info
below. Do refer to the space requirements in the README however.

The compressed tar ball is about 109MB in size. You will need around 350MB
in a file system to store and uncompress this fixpack. Please make this
file system separate from your /usr/OV file system unless you are sure you
have ample disk space. You will need at least 250MB in /usr/OV for the
installation of the FixPack1.

Please shutdown the NetView Server:
1. /usr/OV/bin/ovwexit  (all GUIs)
2. /usr/OV/bin/ovstop nvsecd  (all daemons including nvsecd - please double
check all are stopped)
3. /usr/OV/bin/nettl -stop
4. /usr/OV/service/nvstat -cleanup
5. /usr/sbin/slibclean
Please check for any background tasks that are associated with NetView such
as nvUtil or jre's for maptreeserver. Kill them and run slibclean again if
any exist. I would recommend backing up your test box at this point or at
the very least tarring up your NetView directory.

Now you should be ready to install the FixPack1. You need to be root.
Extract the "install" program from the tar ball. Issue "./install -q".
Start your daemons using "netnmrc".

Gareth Holl
Staff Software Engineer
gholl AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Software Group - Tivoli Brand
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina.

      "Christian Frantsen"
      <cfrantse AT csc DOT com>                      To:

                                      nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com

      01/07/2003 04:47 AM                     cc:
                                              Subject:        [nv-l]
                                      7.1.3 Upgrade problems

Hi!

I just upgraded a Solaris8 Netview 7.1.2 server to 7.1.3.
The Java Client was also upgraded from 7.1.2 to 7.1.3

Everything went fine except for a few things:
When I try to make any kind of diagnostic on a node (demand poll etc) via
the web console I get the following error: An unspecified failure occurred:
Error 405

When checking the object properties for a node, the "Other" part is empty.
It works in the X gui and on the command line (nmdemandpoll etc.), so it's
probably some error ni the webserver/java part.

I used the "Netview Integrated TCP/IP Service Component" CD from the TEC
bundle to upgrade a standalone server, I hope it's ok to do that. I assumed
that was the media to use since I haven't gotten any other Netview CD's.

Anyone know what causes this?

I saw that there was a fixpack released, so I downloaded and read the
README file and it says you need to have Installshield Multi-Platform
executable or install TestFix. Where can I find these?

Christian Frantsen