nv-l

Re: [nv-l] NV 713 - Solaris : Paging and Mailing help required.

2003-01-13 14:23:57
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NV 713 - Solaris : Paging and Mailing help required.
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:23:57 -0500
Basically, setting up Solaris to use the paging facility and sending
e-mail requires some good UNIX admin skills.
I don't know of any comprehensive documents -- perhaps someone else can
help you out there if they have written one.
You can always call IBM Support and ask them for help because this is the
sort of thing they excel at.  They may even have something written up.

But you have to do two things before you can implement the paging facility
on Solaris.  The first is to hook up your modem to the Solaris box.  You
have to define it as a tty device.  Have you done that?  The other thing
is to call your paging carrier and ask them whether they support
computer-generated pages using the TAPI protocol.  If they don't, then you
are out of luck right there, unless they can give you detailed information
on what they do support.  If they do support it, then ask them for
connection details.  What number should you call (it may be quite
different from the one a human calls) and with what modem speed and
parity.  You are going to try to set up a modem-to-modem connection with
them so they have to tell you what parameters to use.

Only then can you set things up in NetView in the /usr/OV/conf directory.
If your modem works with the basic Hayes command set, and most do, then
you can use newhayes.modem file without modification.  You can ignore
nvpaging.protocols if the company supports TAPI.  If not, you need to put
the config info they tell you about their protocol in there.  Then you put
the basic modem parity, speed and other information you used to configure
the tty in nvpager.config.  You put the information about the number to
dial in the nv.carriers file.   Once you get this all configured, then you
cause a page to be sent using the nvpage command. If it fails, you will
need to run nvpagerd with the -d option to get a trace so that Support can
help you figure out where it is failing.

E-mail is sent using the UNIX sendmail command.  Setting that up on
Solaris is another UNIX admin task.

I presume that what you ultimately want to do is to send e-mail and pages
and the sendmail command in a script you have written.  The script is
configured as a command for automatic action for that trap.

Hope this overview helps.  None of this is trivial for the new user.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Mithun Prakash Prabhu" <Mithun_Prabhu AT infosys DOT com>
01/13/2003 08:35 AM