nv-l

Re: [nv-l] NetView Main Subject Areas

2003-01-12 02:11:07
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView Main Subject Areas
From: netview AT toddh DOT net (Todd H.)
To: "Hobbs, Cliff" <cliff.hobbs AT eds DOT com>
Date: 12 Jan 2003 01:11:07 -0600
"Hobbs, Cliff" <cliff.hobbs AT eds DOT com> writes:
> I'm not a NetView user

> Well I'm thinking of adding a 'NetView' page to the Tivoli section
> of the new FAQ site I'm setting up in my spare time
> ([[http://www.faqshop.com]]). Would this be something you guys would
> find useful?

Perhaps.  But a non-user of a tool doesn't make a very good FAQ
coordinator.

> Tivoli/IBM have very kindly agreed to let me use the content from
> this list which is where my next question/ call for help comes in.

Well that's certainly interesting.  Tivoli/IBM doesn't own the content
from this list, so I'm going to question what specific permission you
were able to obtain from them if any.  Copyrights are maintained by
individual contributors.  If you want to take list content and post it
to a web page, to do things correctly, you would need permission of
the author.

Are you familiar with this FAQ?
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

or this one?

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/law/copyright/faq/part1/

> I only subscribed to this list on Christmas Eve. I got a URL of a
> site that offers an online searchable archive for this list but to
> make my life easier does anyone have copies of past emails in a
> separate .PST file or something similar that they'd be prepared to
> send me?

I'm sorry if I haven't welcomed you with open arms, but you're new to
the community, talking of making commercial revenue with the works of
others, and you'd like someone to make your life easier by sending you
the archives of the list in a convenient format so you can plunder it
for content on your site to generate ad revenue?

Did I miss anything?

> If any of you have any hints, tips, etc. that you'd like to see
> posted on the site or any queries/ questions regarding the site
> itself please feel free to email me at [[cliff AT faqshop DOT com]].

I think you need to be very very careful about copyright on such a
site.  If you're using anything someone has written as part of a FAQ
without their express permission, and are generating click through or
ad revenue from it, you're  gonna have BIG problems from a lot of
angry people.

Regards,
--
Todd H.