Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Staging off Virtual Tape Library

2010-07-13 18:44:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Staging off Virtual Tape Library
From: Brandon35 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:44:53 -0400
It looks like the answer is something I have not touched yet...

Storage Lifecycle Policies

Someone please assure I have the right understanding here:

I have created a Storage Lifecycle Policy named "slp-fileserver"

I have modified the "Full" schedule, that runs over the weekend, to override
it's policy storage selection and use the "slp-fileserver" storage lifecycle
policy as it's storage policy. (this was previously set to "Multiple Copies"
and copy 1 to my virtual tape library and copy 2 to my physical tape library)

The slp-fileserver storage lifecycle policy is configured like this:

&nbsp; &nbsp;Use For&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Storage Unit&nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;Retention Type&nbsp; &nbsp; Retention

1. Backup&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; fileserver-vtl&nbsp; &nbsp;Fixed&nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;2 weeks
2.&nbsp; Duplication&nbsp; mediaserver-tld&nbsp; Fixed&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;2 month

So it my understanding that this storage lifecycle policy will first do it's
backup with the fileserver's own storage unit (fiber transport) to the VTL. And
then, I have a seperate media server duplicate that backup image to the
physical tape library during the day as to put no load on our file servers
during business hours.

Do I have this correct?

The only thing I don't accomplish here, is I wish to schedule the duplication
portion of that lifecycle to happen during the daytime, but the lifecycle
policy gives me no control of that.