Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Staging off Virtual Tape Library

2010-07-14 07:30:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Staging off Virtual Tape Library
From: tsimerson <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:29:50 -0400
I had setup the exact same type of backup policy (backup to VTL then use SLP to
move the data to physical tape) and it worked great.  I was backing up 2
servers from remote environments (about 80).  The VTL would suck all the data
in (I had about 20 tape drives) through the course of the night. It was
normally only 5 to 10 GB of data.  The duplication would be done by 9:00 AM
most mornings.  Full backups (about 40 GB) would have their duplication done by
10:30 to 11:00 AM.

If I remember, the SLP would start trying to duplicate the data within an hour
of the backup finishing.  The 2 things that I found annoying were:
1.  It would create a separate duplication job for each image it had backed up.
 Just cluttered up the activity monitor.
2.  I would see jobs gets "stuck" because the virtual tape was still in use by
another backup.

This was under NBU 6.5.4 using a single Windows based master/media server.  I
don't happen to work there any more so I can't give you the configuration
details.  Just confirmation that what you are trying to do will work.  And
probably accomplish exactly what you need it to.[/list][/list]