Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] unified logging

2009-06-01 11:06:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] unified logging
From: "David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 11:03:15 -0400

I have set up a separate unix file system for all my logs - both unified logs
and netbackup ones.

Unified logs use a -p and -o designation, -p should be 51216 for NetBackup, and
to list your -o use this command:

vxlogcfg -l -p 51216

So -

#   To list existing values for unified logging
    for i in `vxlogcfg -l -p 51216| grep -v ist`
    do
     echo $i >> /tmp/current.vxlog.config
     vxlogcfg -l -p 51216 -o $i >> /tmp/current.vxlog.config
    done

# to modify log level ( you need to know the value of o for what you what to
watch!)
# if you have issues it is most likely spaces in command
  vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 151 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

# To reset all logging levels for vxlog
  vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o ALL -s DebugLevel=0 -s DiagnosticLevel=0

# To COPY VXLOGS to save
# Make a tmp directory like /mnt/nblogs on storage
 vxlogmgr -c -p 51216 -o 111 -t 30:00:00 -f /mnt/nblogs
# where t = how far back to go

The unified logs especially can grow quickly, and even though you may have them
set to limit of 7, they DO NOT LIMIT!
I think they get reset during image cleanup? But you can manually clean them
using this command:

# use this to remove extra files:
 vxlogmgr -d -a -q
# It DELETES logs back to the limits in the config ( like 7 )