Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] unified logging

2009-06-04 05:51:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] unified logging
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:48:10 +0100
A problem that we have tried to address is the growth of the number of
files.   We have taken the option to set the logs to rotate every 24
hours, to set the number to keep as being the same as the retention set
for the legacy logging, and to recycle the logs.   From what we've read
this should cause the logs to be turned over daily and automatically
cleaned up, the same as legacy logging.

It does mean that instead of many fixed-size logs per OID we will get logs
that could get very big - so I accept that viewing them could be very
slow.

(Credit to my colleague Ian for this code)

$VXLOGCFG -a -p 51216 -o Default -s RolloverMode=LocalTime -s
RolloverAtLocalTime=00:01 -q

        # set log retention to same as legacy logging
        KeepLogs=`/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpconfig -l | $AWK
'{print $6}'`
        if [ -z "${KeepLogs}" ]; then # If cant get legacy logging
retention then set a default
                KeepLogs=7
                print "..\tsetting log retention to a default of
${KeepLogs} days"
        else
                print "..\tsetting log retention to ${KeepLogs} days (as
per legacy logging)"
        fi
        $VXLOGCFG -a -p 51216 -o Default -s "LogRecycle=true" -q
        $VXLOGCFG -a -p 51216 -o Default -s "NumberOfLogFiles=${KeepLogs}"
-q

We've also removed any logs settings from entries other than Default, and
quite separately done something similar to PBX logs.

I'd agree that the log directory must not be on the root file system, and
must not be on the EMM DC file system

William D L Brown