Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] DSU Question.

2009-03-27 09:16:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] DSU Question.
From: "Marianne Van Den Berg" <mvdberg AT stortech.co DOT za>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:53:11 +0200
Have a look at these TechNotes:

Design considerations:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/270101.htm

Relocation behavior:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/280398.htm

Performance Tuning:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273532.htm

Regards

M.

-----Original Message-----
From: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu] On Behalf Of dy018
Sent: 27 March 2009 09:06
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSU Question.

Hi,

I'm still in the mist of a backup design to use either a DSU or a DSSU
target for my interim backups.

Would like to know if there's a limitation in the number of streams if
the storage unit is a DSU? I also assume multiplexing will not be a
issue if the target is DSU right?

Another senario is, if i were to use backup direct to tape, i have a
backup that require to run the bpstart notify script to do some export
dump and it might take 30mins or more, the backup will actually hog the
drive during the export dump and if there's another small backup that
trigger during that time will be put in queue.

Given the same senario, if my storage unit is a DSU, will the small
backup job go through as there is no tape drive involved.

Appreciate anyone of you having such a configuration to share your
experiences. Thanks

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and automatically archived by Mimecast SA (Pty) Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Mimecast Unified Email Management (UEM) offers email continuity, security, archiving and compliance with all current legislation. To find out more, contact Mimecast. stormcid