Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] DSU Question.

2009-03-28 02:10:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] DSU Question.
From: Dean Allen <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:07:23 +1100
> Given the same senario, if my storage unit is a DSU, will the small
> backup job go through as there is no tape drive involved.

If you've got your DSSU setup to accept more than one stream at a
time, yes.

Before you get too far into design, you should work out how fast the
backups to disk actually are. This can have a big influence on how you
use your DSSU. I have a 3TB DSSU, (RAID 6 SATA) and I can't get any
better than about 50 MB/sec out of it (usually about 30 MB/sec). I can
get the tape drives up to 150 MB/sec. The majority of people seem to
think backing up to disk is going to be faster, but that's not
necessarily the case.

I still direct the majority of backups straight to tape, and use the
DSSU for the big long slow ones, like the 1.5 TB Windows client which
can only send data to the NBU server at about 15 MB/sec. I send that
to disk, so it doesn't hold a tape drive for a day and a half.

I also use the DSSU for the backups which don't really have a large
amount of data to backup, but need to run and complete fairly quickly,
like Oracle archive logs.

YMMV.

Cheers,
Dean