Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] DSU Question.

2009-03-27 09:05:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] DSU Question.
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:01:46 -0500
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:05 AM, dy018 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

I'm still in the mist of a backup design to use either a DSU or a DSSU target for my interim backups.

Would like to know if there's a limitation in the number of streams if the storage unit is a DSU? I also assume multiplexing will not be a issue if the target is DSU right?

Depending on your environment, you'll still want to limit the number of streams.  Disks don't have unlimited performance and I'm going to assume that you're going to put these on cheap disk.  You can saturate disk.  We have.  How many streams you can do before performance drops off is something you'll have to measure yourself.  If you're on a shared disk array, you may want to factor in what you're doing to everybody else too.

The advantage of NetBackup is that you can saturate any device you have.
The disadvantage of NetBackup is that you can saturate any device you have.

   .../Ed