Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vaulting without vault?

2003-11-03 14:49:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vaulting without vault?
From: Kelly.Wyatt AT sas DOT com (Kelly Wyatt)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:49:22 -0500
Dave,

We have home-grown vault.  Basically, we find the images we want to offsite
(using bpimagelist -media), then, programmatically determine the slot in the
library, and then remove the tapes using a home-grown web application.

With only 9 tapes in the library, I'm not sure it's worth a lot of extra
programming work.  You can always remove all the full tapes in the library
(assuming you have any), put the long-term tapes in, inventory the library,
then run the backups.  Reverse, and you're back to where you were.

You can use bpmedialist -summary to see when tapes will expire and remove
either the latest or the earliest, depending on your needs.

Physically removing a tape from the library and reinventorying it does not
remove tapes from the mediadb.

Kelly