Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] multiplexed duplicates

2001-10-30 15:28:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] multiplexed duplicates
From: david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:28:30 -0600
Here's the biggest reason I recommend having de-mux'ed duplicated images.

When a tape contains MPX images, it no longer maintains a tar compatible
header.  The only way to remedy that is by duplicating (de-mux by default)
the images.

This allows you, independently of an NBU server, to access the data with GNU
tar or Veritas' modified version of GNU tar.

I know there are a lot of opinions on whether this is a good enough reason
to de-mux, and I shall not argue with any of you, it merely becomes a matter
preference.

Most of my clients like to have an industry standard (nearly standard)
format in their offsite vault.

David
David A. Chapa
NetBackup Consultant
DataStaff, Inc.
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
847 413 1144
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com