Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] multiplexed duplicates & vaulting

2001-10-31 11:02:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] multiplexed duplicates & vaulting
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:02:36 -0800 (PST)
Well let me be so bold as to ask the question...Is MPX
really necessary on the front-end?

I usually MPX only incremental backups, FULLS I
recommend that they do not MPX.

Just a thought.

David

since Monday @ 5am,
> which brings it to 53 hours so far.
>
> Im concerned that the vaulting software isnt working
correctly because its
> running 4 vault jobs at once, using 4 drives for
original tapes and 4
> drives for duplicate tapes.
>
> The error logs bpvault.error.0, bpvault.error.1,
bpvault.error.2 and
> bpvault.error.3 show extremely different info.
>
> bpvault.error.0 = Status = successfully duplicated 5
of 5 images
> bpvault.error.1 = Status = successfully duplicated 14
of 14 images
> bpvault.error.2 = still duplicating images
> bpvault.error.3 = Status = successfully duplicated 45
of 45 images

> dup.preview.out shows 180 images to be vaulted, which
leads me to believe
> that the last bpvault #2  process is going to take
quite a while if its
> vaulting 116 or 180 images based on the number of
images vaulted in 0,1 &
> 3.
>
> I think something needs to be tuned or tweaked here,
cuz this cant remain
> this way.
>

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Jason Ahrens wrote:
>
> > Although I do have to agree with that, unfortunatly
reality impinges it's
> > way into my ideal world. We have a number of large
images and to go
> through
> > the tapes to demux them can take up to 4 hours an
image (I've timed it).
> > Given the number of images I'm dealing with here
sometimes on a daily
> basis,
> > there arn't enough hours to a day to demux my
duplicates.

> > Unless someone knows some secret trick I don't.
> >
> > Jason

commands.com]
> > > Sent: October 30, 2001 15:29
> > > To: Steve Mickeler; veritas-
bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> > > Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] multiplexed duplicates
> > >

> > > Here's the biggest reason I recommend having de-
mux'ed
> > > duplicated images.
> > >
> > > When a tape contains MPX images, it no longer
maintains a tar
> > > compatible
> > > header.  The only way to remedy that is by
duplicating
> > > (de-mux by default)
> > > the images.
> > >
> > > This allows you, independently of an NBU server,
to access
> > > the data with GNU
> > > tar or Veritas' modified version of GNU tar.
> > >
> > > I know there are a lot of opinions on whether
this is a good
> > > enough reason
> > > to de-mux, and I shall not argue with any of you,
it merely
> > > becomes a matter
> > > preference.
> > >
> > > Most of my clients like to have an industry
standard (nearly standard)
> > > format in their offsite vault.
> > >
> > > David
> > > <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> > > David A. Chapa
> > > NetBackup Consultant
> > > DataStaff, Inc.
> > > http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
> > > 847 413 1144
> > > ---------------------------------------
> > > NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting
> > > http://www.xbpadm-commands.com

On Behalf Of Steve
> > > Mickeler
> > > Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 1:23 PM
> > > To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> > > Subject: [Veritas-bu] multiplexed duplicates
> > >

> > > We're running the vault extension on our
netbackup setup and
> > > I'm finding
> > > that the time to duplicate is taking a long time.
36 hours to
> > > duplicate
> > > 180 images spanning 14 DLT 35B/70GB tapes.
> > >
> > > I'm assuming its taking so long to duplicate the
images because its
> > > de-multiplexing the images during the duplicate.
> > >
> > > Is there any reason why I wouldnt want to have
the duplicates
> > > multiplexed
> > > ?
> > >

> > > Todays root password is brought to you
by /dev/random

> > > .-------------------------------------.
> > > | Steve Mickeler * Network Operations |
> > > +-------------------------------------+
> > > |     Neptune Internet Services       |
> > > `-------------------------------------'
> > >
> > > 1024D/ACB58D4F = 0227 164B D680 9E13 9168  AE28
843F 57D7 ACB5 8D4F

bu

bu

bu

> Todays root password is brought to you by /dev/random
>
> .-------------------------------------.
> | Steve Mickeler * Network Operations |
> |     Neptune Internet Services       |
>
> 1024D/ACB58D4F = 0227 164B D680 9E13 9168  AE28 843F
57D7 ACB5 8D4F

bu

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager