Networker

[Networker] Data Domain in mixed BOOST/VTL mode?

2013-04-08 12:55:56
Subject: [Networker] Data Domain in mixed BOOST/VTL mode?
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:38:06 -0700
We updated our NW Data Zone (W2K8R2 server + 2 W2K8R2 SNs each writing to 1 DD
880) to NW 8.0.1.1 recently.
So far we only rely on 'normal' AFTDs (8 on each DD) and the client's Direct
File Access (DFA) capabilities.

Using DFA, the clients write directly to the DDs. At the same time we are also
cloning from each AFTD volume to LTO5 tape drives (one for each AFTD)
simulteanously, thanks to the new Read-while-Write capability of the AFTD.
During peak hours you can see a total data rate that is close to 1GB/s if not
beyond that mark. Of course that also depends on your data as well but in
general, we are positively impressed about the NW 8 capabilities and speed
enhancements.