Networker

[Networker] Data Domain in mixed BOOST/VTL mode?

2013-04-06 08:25:19
Subject: [Networker] Data Domain in mixed BOOST/VTL mode?
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 05:18:08 -0700
Why do you really want to use VTL at all?

Using a DD you are talking to very fast network-attached AFTDs where NW 8
clients can even use new technologies like Flexible Blocksize & Direct File
Access. The data rates which you achieve here are amazing, especially when you
stream data from various clients to multiple AFTDs and - at the same time -
simulteanously clone data from these devices to tape (if needed at all). Only
in rare cases, the clients must have faster NICs than 1GbE but of course that
also depends on the data rate you must achieve.

My opinion is to avoid VTLs whenever possible. Yes, you have fast SAN access
but IMHO this is the the only benefit. You really force a disk to behave like a
tape and in general, you add an additional, unnecessary 'layer' which limits
the flexibility B2D would offer. And of course it is a an additional component
which potentially might cause trouble. Just avoid it!