Networker

Re: [Networker] Data Domain in mixed BOOST/VTL mode?

2013-04-08 14:45:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Data Domain in mixed BOOST/VTL mode?
From: Tony Garza <TGarza AT FROSTBANK DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 13:44:53 -0500
So has anyone actually tested the restore speed of large volumes using DD
and Boost?  What have been your results?

We have sales people beating down our doors from IBM - TSM trying to pitch
that the incremental forever is the solution for everything.  I just dont
see it.  We currently have Networker 7.6.3 and in the process of migrating
clients over to 8sp1 and so far things have been working good.  We do use
traditional tape(LTO4) in our environment so we have the normal issues that
come with backing up to tape but outside of that things work pretty good.
I would love to see what a DD poc would do for us and how it would change
our environment in general.  Also, I mentioned that we could have client
direct backups which would also speed things up but then was told that we
wouldn't want to push more onto our clients as far as overhead, but I would
have to assume that the overhead of a client direct client has to be less
than that of a traditional client backup having to send over all of the
data.

Let me know your thoughts on this and any other info that I am leaving out.
Also, I would be interested if any of you have migrated from IBM to
Networker.

Thanks,

Tony