Networker

[Networker] How to make a duplicate of a tape (was: nsrclone advice needed)

2013-03-18 12:17:54
Subject: [Networker] How to make a duplicate of a tape (was: nsrclone advice needed)
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:17:16 -0400
OK, I guess I am using the wrong terms. Here's what I want:

I want to make an exact duplicate of a tape. Not a "clone" in the
technical Networker sense, but a 2nd tape, with all the same data on the
tape. A bit-for-bit copy, same vol id, same EVERYTHING. (that's what I
meant by "clone")

I then want to be able to use this tape, to do CFI recovers ("nsrck -L7")
from, rather than the original tape, which we will keep offsite, safely.

I want to keep the duplicate tape here onsite, and do my recovers with it.
What I am hoping for is that when I do a recover of that sort, NW will see
the mounted, local tape as the source to do said recovers, and then just
use it. Then, when I am done doing all the recovers I need, I can
physically destroy the tape, without changing anything in the NW media
database - so NW will think it still exists .. and it does, but now only
offsite. NW won't care, as long as the media matches what NW thinks it is
(and being a bit-for-bit duplicate, it *should* match perfectly)

Possible? If so, how?