Networker

Re: [Networker] Why isnt this browsable?

2012-04-02 15:03:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why isnt this browsable?
From: George Sinclair <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 15:02:39 -0400
On 2012-04-02 08:23, Michael Leone wrote:
Michael,

it is browseable from the status. That's what mminfo tells you.
However the index is empty. You can verify this with "nsrls client".
Yes, but why? The index should have been rebuilt with "scanner -i".
I agree. But what would happen if you instead scanned the tape to get
the ssid (assuming you don't already know it), and then you used scanner
to perform a raw recover using uasm and relocated it to another target
directory, just to check, and then maybe moved it into place. Would that
work?
Well, I can (and did) do a saveset recover. The whole saveset was only
like 14G, so it wasn't too bad to do that, and then find what I wanted.

As it turns out, apparently the problem was ... that I'm an idiot. :-) I
*thought* I had done "scanner -i", and instead I had only done "scanner
-m". So of course there was no index.

I am now doing "scanner -i", and it does look like it's rebuilding the
index, as "nsrls client" now shows 2500 records ...

Mind you, I still have my problem from last week, where I did a "scanner
-m", and then a "scanner -i -S<ssid>", to 3 tapes created on yet another
NW server. And those savesets are still not browsable, even after doing
"-i" (verified - the command is still on the screen, at the shell prompt".
Is it possible that your operation from last week hasn't actually finished yet so it hasn't written anything to disk? In other words, kinda like when you delete a file, but a process still has it open. The disk space isn't freed up yet. Or maybe the tapes weren't run in the correct order. You should be able to tell by looking at the synchronization chunk (B, C, S or E). I've found that any save sets that start on Tape 1 and finish on tape 2 will be identified as 'B' on tape 1 and 'E' on tape 2. Any save set that's completely contained on the tape is marked as 'E'. I suppose if a save set it contained on three on more tapes then maybe the middle portions will be marked as 'C'. Not sure.

But this other tape, from the other NW server, does seem to be doing the
"-m" and then "-i" routine properly. When it finishes, I expect it to be
browsable, especially after I make sure the expiration/retention dates on
both the saveset and index saveset are set for 7 years in the future ...
I'm confused here. The man page says:

"-i Rebuilds both the media and the online file indexes from the volumes read. If you specify a single save set with the -S ssid option, only entries for the specified save set are copied to the online file index. Note that for version 6.0 and later, if you have the tape that contain the index backups that go along with the data backups, the recommended way of restoring your indexes is to run scanner -m to reload the media database entries for the index and data backups. Once that is done, you should run nsrck -L7 -t date <clientname> to recover the index for the client as of the time of the backups on the tape. This will roll the index entries for that time back into the index. However, if you have tapes for which there are no index backups, then you will need to use the -i option to reconstruct the index
entries."

The first thing you tried (unintentionally since you meant to specify -'i') was '-m' and then the nsrck -L7 command, right? This is exactly what the man page suggests. But the last sentence in the man page has me confused wherein it says: "However, if you have tapes for which there are no index backups, then you will need to use the -i option to reconstruct the index entries." Don't you have a backup of the index? If so, why would you need to use the 'i' option? Why would the '-m', followed by the 'nsrck -L7' not have worked, at least logically? We know it didn't, but is this expected given your scenario? Why is the '-i' necessary in this case? Just asking. I don't know.

George

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or
unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -