Networker

Re: [Networker] Why isnt this browsable?

2012-04-02 15:58:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why isnt this browsable?
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 21:58:15 +0300
måndag 02 april 2012 15:21:40 skrev  Michael Leone:

> Beats me. :-) I know that I usually do "scanner -m", then an mminfo to
> determine what order the tape(s) were written, and then "scanner -i", in
> that order. I've been told (I believe by EMC Tech Support) that you *must*
> run "scanner -i" in the order shown by the mminfo, else the index is not
> properly rebuilt. And *I thought* that "nsrck -L6 (or -L7)" wouldn't work
> to re-read an index made by some other NW server; that in the case of
> using tapes from a "foreign" NW server, you have to use "scanner -i", and
> not "nsrck -L6/-L7".
>
> Perhaps that is wrong, and "nsrck -L6" would work ... not sure how, as the
> system would need to have "scanner -m" on an index saveset, so it knows
> what tape the index is on ...

No, no. What I meant is that you first run "scanner -i", then "nsrck -L6".

scanner -i will rebuild the index files (*.rec). nsrck -L6 will rebuild the
metafiles in the CFI and thus properly include the newly scanned in the CFI:s
so Networker can find them in the "normal" way.

This was needed to get files read in by "nsrck -L7" also not too long ago when
I needed it.  -L7 was supposed to include all the lower levels, but it really
only loaded the *.rec files from tape...