Networker

Re: [Networker] Why isnt this browsable?

2012-04-02 15:22:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why isnt this browsable?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 15:21:40 -0400
> Is it possible that your operation from last week hasn't actually
> finished yet so it hasn't written anything to disk?

No, it has definitely finished. The command returned to a system prompt.

> The first thing you tried (unintentionally since you meant to specify
> -'i') was '-m' and then the nsrck -L7 command, right? This is exactly
> what the man page suggests. But the last sentence in the man page has me

> confused wherein it says: "However, if you have tapes for which there
> are no index backups, then you will need to use the -i option to
> reconstruct the index entries." Don't you have a backup of the index?

It is on the tape, with the saveset I wanted.

> If  so, why would you need to use the 'i' option?

Nsrck -L7 did *not* work, as it claimed that no index entries existed for
that client (which was true). I've since been advised that I could
have/should have? Used "nsrck -L6", and not "-L7".

> Why would the '-m',
> followed by the 'nsrck -L7' not have worked, at least logically? We know

> it didn't, but is this expected given your scenario? Why is the '-i'
> necessary in this case? Just asking. I don't know.

Beats me. :-) I know that I usually do "scanner -m", then an mminfo to
determine what order the tape(s) were written, and then "scanner -i", in
that order. I've been told (I believe by EMC Tech Support) that you *must*
run "scanner -i" in the order shown by the mminfo, else the index is not
properly rebuilt. And *I thought* that "nsrck -L6 (or -L7)" wouldn't work
to re-read an index made by some other NW server; that in the case of
using tapes from a "foreign" NW server, you have to use "scanner -i", and
not "nsrck -L6/-L7".

Perhaps that is wrong, and "nsrck -L6" would work ... not sure how, as the
system would need to have "scanner -m" on an index saveset, so it knows
what tape the index is on ...