Networker

Re: [Networker] Why isnt this browsable?

2012-04-02 14:05:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why isnt this browsable?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 14:05:00 -0400
> On 2012-04-02 08:23, Michael Leone wrote:
> >> Michael,
> >>
> >> it is browseable from the status. That's what mminfo tells you.
> >> However the index is empty. You can verify this with "nsrls client".
> > Yes, but why? The index should have been rebuilt with "scanner -i".
>
> I agree. But what would happen if you instead scanned the tape to get
> the ssid (assuming you don't already know it), and then you used scanner

> to perform a raw recover using uasm and relocated it to another target
> directory, just to check, and then maybe moved it into place. Would that

> work?

Well, I can (and did) do a saveset recover. The whole saveset was only
like 14G, so it wasn't too bad to do that, and then find what I wanted.

As it turns out, apparently the problem was ... that I'm an idiot. :-) I
*thought* I had done "scanner -i", and instead I had only done "scanner
-m". So of course there was no index.

I am now doing "scanner -i", and it does look like it's rebuilding the
index, as "nsrls client" now shows 2500 records ...

Mind you, I still have my problem from last week, where I did a "scanner
-m", and then a "scanner -i -S <ssid>", to 3 tapes created on yet another
NW server. And those savesets are still not browsable, even after doing
"-i" (verified - the command is still on the screen, at the shell prompt".

But this other tape, from the other NW server, does seem to be doing the
"-m" and then "-i" routine properly. When it finishes, I expect it to be
browsable, especially after I make sure the expiration/retention dates on
both the saveset and index saveset are set for 7 years in the future ...