Networker

Re: [Networker] tape utilization

2008-03-28 14:08:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape utilization
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:04:44 +0000
MIchael Leone wrote:
Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PeeVRo.co DOT uk> wrote on 03/28/2008 12:36:43 PM:

MIchael Leone wrote:
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on 03/27/2008 03:34:41 PM:

Depends on your data.   File systems usually have a large volume of
already compressed files, or files that don't compress much (jpgs,
mpg,
mp3, etc). In our windows environments, we get about 300-400 on
LTO-2
and 700-900 GB on LTO-3 tapes.
You get 900GB on LTO-3? Isn't LTO-3 400G native, 800G compressed?
Compression is variable.

Yes, I know, but I thought the upper limit was 2x. i.e., no more than 800G physically on the tape ...

Absolutely not. It depends entirely on the compressibility of the data. Typically database files compress well - people have reported SQL data compressing well, and I would not think it unusual to have close to 1TB of Oracle data on an LTO-2 tape (200GB native).

What is the limit? Who knows? What would happen if you had a huge file containing nothing but zeroes?