Networker

Re: [Networker] tape utilization

2008-03-27 15:52:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape utilization
From: Eugene Vilensky <evilensky AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:48:17 -0500
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Browning, David <DBrown AT lsuhsc DOT edu>
wrote:
> Depends on your data.   File systems usually have a large volume of
>  already compressed files, or files that don't compress much (jpgs, mpg,
>  mp3, etc).  In our windows environments, we get about 300-400 on LTO-2
>  and 700-900 GB on LTO-3 tapes.

Thank you for your reply David. I am speaking more towards making sure
that the tape isn't running ahead when there are drops in the data
stream.  I understand LTO-3 are variable speed, but not continuously
variable, and there can be gaps which are marked as "used" but do not
have any data on them.  Please correct me where I am wrong.  This
bring to mind another newbie-ish question, what are the minimum speeds
and speed-steppings?